Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Sleepwalking

This morning was my last morning at work (I work the graveyard shift for seven days and then I have seven days off). On the morning after my last graveyard I usually stay up for about 26 or 28 hours. Well let me tell you, it is exhausting! Well, after my bellydancing class, I started talking to a friend on the phone. The next thing I know, I was sitting on my bed. I have a vague recollection of starting my walk home, but everything else is unclear. How can half an hour be wiped out of my mind? I have no idea what my poor friend thought as we "conversed". But this made me realize how amazing the human body is. My body knew where to go, eventhough my mind (my conscious mind) was not there to guide it. It also obviously knew what to say to reassure my friend that I was still listening, when in fact, I was a million Zs away. The other thing is that, my body needed sleep, so it went into some weird hibernation while I was still, supposedly, active.

In 1987, a 23 year old male killed his parents-in-law while he was sleepwalking and was found not guilty. I wonder if my friend will forgive me as easily when she finds out that I slept (?) through half an hour of her telling me how horrible she feels when her feelings and words are not acknowledged or dismissed? I think I'm way beyond tired now. I'm going to bed, hopefully I'll remember writing this in the morning:)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You're right, the body is amazing! I will totally understand if you "sleepwalk" through one of our conversations. :)