Monday, September 22, 2008

Life of a Traveler

I currently work full time at a children's hospital as a Clinical Laboratory Scientist (CLS) or Medical Technologist (MT). I am fortunate that in my field there is something called a traveling CLS. The way it works is that these national companies will hire me out to hospitals all over the U.S. (sometimes all over the world). They then will pay my rent, utilities, and transportation expenses (wonderful, I know). This will give me a great opportunity to travel and to budget at the same time (two things that do not usually go together). They also pay much more than a permanent position. I do not have a permanent contract with any of these companies. I do, however, have to be at the hospitals for a minimum of 13 weeks. Some hospitals are in need of someone a little longer than that, but you are aware of this before undertaking the position.
Why, you might ask, have I not participated in this phenomenal opportunity? Well, when I first started, I , unfortunately, was unaware of this advantageous traveling CLS opportunity. But now being aware, I wish to partake in this adventure.
I became aware, through a friend in the field, of some positions available in Hawaii and California. Hmm...I've always wondered what Haupia tasted like.

No comments: