Saturday, September 27, 2008

Allez Les Bleus...What?



















I once volunteered with an organization called Les Petits Frères des Pauvres. An amazing organization that is very big in certain parts of Europe that was founded because of one man’s passion for and desires to help those less fortunate than himself. There were two parts to this organization. One part was helping the elderly in whatever way they needed help. The other part was teaching the homeless whom they had found a home for how to enjoy life. That meant whatever it took to make them appreciate all the good things that life has to offer. One of the people from this group was Jean. He was a character. And I adored him! But Jean had one obsession (okay, two if you include his love of sweets, which caused him to have his last two teeth removed, he cried--gosh he was adorable), soccer. The fortunate year that I found myself in France was during the World Cup (you have no idea how crazy people can get around that time...well...there is the superbowl, so maybe you do have an idea). Whenever there was a game, the only way I would get to spend time with Jean was if I watched them with him. He was the sweetest, calmest guy...unless he was watching soccer. Then he would scream "Allez les bleus." (go blues..cheering the french team on) or "imbecile!" It depended on what was going on with the game at the moment. And that is where my obsession with soccer started. He was contagious. Sad to say, at least sad for Jean, I no longer obsess over the game. But there are so many things to obsess over; I have to give them each their turn ;)



No comments: