Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Failure to launch

Viktor (my supposed Greek god) and I have gone out once and I have cancelled five dates in between and a bit before then. Let me explain what happened on our first date.

He worked real late that day and so he asked if we could do the date after he got off work, which was around ten p.m. We went to see one of the light shows at the Imax theater. As with all things theater/cinema/stand up comedy routines, not much talking happened. Afterwards we wondered around for fifteen minutes or so trying to get to know each other, but it was real late.

These are the things I found out about him:
-From California (of Mexican origin)
-Very close to his mother and brother (both live in California)
-Works everyday but Sunday
-Wishes to go to med school one day
-Extremely kind, courteous (very much the gentleman)

How I felt:
-NOTHING! All the chemistry I felt at the beginning was gone. I'm not even sure why I felt it. I was very saddened and disappointed. But, I decided perhaps I was just being weird and so, we will have a second date because I did enjoy my first date with him and he really is a sweet guy.

This is the kind of advice I have been getting from friends so far:

"Laureen, you have to stop thinking like a guy. The chemistry is not usually going to happen instantaneously. To a woman, that is connected to her emotions. If you only go on one date, you're emotions are not involved and so there will be no chemistry."

"He was nervous for his first date, give him a chance."

"Your problem is that you're looking for Mr. Perfect and there is no such creature."

...The frustration! What am I to do? How to rectify my attitude? Or is it just that I'm just picky? Or that what I want, truly want, has just not walked through the door yet?

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

I think you set yourself up for disappointment with every guy you go out with. You have this mold of what "your" guy should be and when he doesn't fit all of your expectations you lose interest and dis-guard him for the next possibility. I am not saying you should settle for any guy but I doubt you will find somebody with all of your criteria. Try getting to know the person alittle bit more before you write him off. Who knows your soul mate might be in your life right now. I personally don't believe in love at first sight and happily ever after crap.
What happened with this guy? Why did he turn you off? Was it something he said or did?

Maya said...

Maybe I am. He didn't do anything. It was just all so blah. I am easily bored and I guess he did nothing to uphold my interest. I don't know. I will meditate upon your words.