Thursday, July 1, 2010

Educational Progression

       One day, I was listening to conference at work when suddenly the idea came to my mind that I needed to apply for my masters.  I sort of laughed at the idea b/c that seems like such a waste of time to me.  Why would I apply for my masters when I am going to apply to med school?  But then randomly, my co-worker started talking about how she's never regretted getting her masters.  I thought, "well, I better look into it."  I looked at BYU and the only masters they really had in the sciences was the masters in science education.  I was DEFINITELY not interested in that.  I looked at UVU and their programs sucked.  And so I finally looked at the U and they had a masters in pathology.  I thought it was perfect!  It was located in the med school.  I felt like it was a program I needed to do. What a great way to prepare for med school!  Around the time I was looking at that, it was the 5th or so and I saw the application deadline had been on the first.  I couldn't understand it.  How can I feel so guided to do somethings only for it not to work out?

       Well, I felt like I needed to contact the admissions office and when I did, they said they did accept late applications but I would have to check with the department I wanted to get my master's in to be sure if THEY accepted late applicants.  When I contacted them the next day, they secretary said it was too late and that letters had been sent out and I would have to wait until spring.  I saw no point to waiting until spring.  By then I would be done with most of my pre-med classes.  But if I could start the masters in the fall, it would take me as long to finish that as it would my pre-med classes.  It sounded perfect!  Perfect until I found out I couldn't do it.  I was very disappointed.  But then, the idea came into my head to contact the director of the program and so I did.  After talking to her for awhile, she said that if I could get my application in as soon as possible, she would consider me.  I was overjoyed.
      I worked as hard as I could to get everything to her.  The transcripts ended up taking a little more time to get there than I hoped, but it got there.  I think about two weeks later I received a letter.  I was not home when it came and so while with Mika, I asked my mom to open it for me. She played a cruel trick by telling me it was a rejection letter :)  But in all actuality, it was an acceptance letter and now I start the program August 23rd!

     I don't know which one of you have read The Alchemist (which I highly recommend), but I feel like I am following my omens.  And because I am everything is lining up so that I can accomplish my goals.  Life, right now, if filled with so much possibilities.  I love it!

3 comments:

Amy and Clint said...

I'm so proud of you! Congrats!

Pflugerville CarTow service LLC said...

You are amazing. This is going to be an amazing year for you. I am so excited. I feel so privileged to be a part of your life and be lucky enough to have you radiance spill over me.
Mika

Michelle said...

I'm excited for this new adventure in your life! I think you're really going to love it.