Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Taking Chances

One of the worst things I've feared happened to me a while ago and...I was ok.

When it comes to matters of the heart, I am the kind of girl who likes to sit back and let it happen.  That does not mean that once action is taken towards me I do not reciprocate.  But I do not take chances.  Not when it comes to my heart.  I always thought it was because I was an easy going girl and I went with the flow.  But I've had a chance to look at myself lately and I've realized that I am a complete coward when it comes to love.  That was something interesting to discover about myself after all these years. 

It is ironic that in my quest to protect my heart, I have had it broken.  It was one of the most painful experiences of my life.  I was right, there is no pain that equals a heartache.  Nothing.  I've never cried so much in my life. To my amazement, though, I've learned so much from that experience.  Don't get me wrong, at times I still think, "When will this pain end!  I can no longer endure it!"  But even doing those times, I felt like it was worth it.  I've learned so much about myself as a woman.  And my heart has never been as open as it is now.  I took a leap of faith and have landed in a place I have never been before.  It's mysterious but full of life.  I feel like a new me.  I am no longer the Laureen I used to be.  I am no longer the Laureen that is afraid to love and be loved.  I am now a woman who knows that when she loves, she loves deeply, thoroughly, and faithfully.  And that I want a man with a faithful heart.  Not one that fades away easily and fast.  To me, that is not love.  At least not the kind I want.  Everyone has their own definition of relationships, friendships, and love.  No one person's definition is necessarily wrong.  But not one size fits all.  I cannot impose mine on anyone else, but I can know what fits me best and what makes me feel the happiest.  And being the sassy girl that I am, I know he will have to love me faithfully in order to put up with me for, hopefully, 30 or more years :). There really is nothing that compares to the feeling of being truly, completely, and unconditionally loved and wanted. And nothing to the warmth, fullness, and passion of loving. I feel like giving them the world, even when they make me mad or sad.  I feel like doing everything in my power to make them happy.  I will love again.  Is the pain worth it?  Yes...yes it is.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Wow, I had no idea you were going through such a rough time! Where was I? Laureen, let me know when you need help! It sounds like it was a difficult experience, but a necessary one. I guess we all have our growing pains. Glad you survived! I guess we all do in the end.